|Search | Archive | Columns | Special Report | The City | Commerce | Links | About us | Contact|
|Everything Environmental At Santa Monica College Lecture Series||
By Lookout Staff
February 15, 2012 -- Whether you're interested in how to make energy upgrades to your home or how to fight big oil in Italy, Santa Monica College's “Environmental Issues Lecture Series” has the information you need to take action.
The lectures -- sponsored by SMC’s Center for Environmental and Urban Studies, SMC Office of Public Programs and the SMC Associates -- kicks off Tuesday, February 28 with “Sustainable Works Grows for You.”
All lectures are at 6:30 p.m. in Room 263 of the Humanities & Social Science Building on the main campus, 1900 Pico Boulevard. The lectures are free and seating is on a first-arrival basis.
The center – which is open to the public – features displays, a library and information center, video collection, native garden, and other services and activities related to environmental and urban studies. SMC has been offering courses in environmental and urban studies since fall 2001.
The lineup for the spring semester is as follows:
• Feb. 28: “Sustainable Works Grows for You,” which will address the Sustainable Works project, a joint SMC-City of Santa Monica program that works with individuals and businesses to adopt everyday practices that are sustainable.
• March 13: “Santa Monica College on the Road to Sustainability,” which will focus on the ways the college is working on transportation, energy food and other projects that contribute to the environment’s health.
• April 17: “Perspectives on Environmental Psychology,” which will provide psychological perspectives on our persistent ecological problems.
• May 15: “ Global Activism: One Woman’s Story Fighting Big Oil in Italy,” which will feature Maria Rita D’Orsogna, who uses social networks to educate the public on the consequences of oil drilling in the Italian countryside.
• May 22: “How to Energy Upgrade Your Home,” which will provide practical steps to improve your home, help the environment and save money by choosing energy upgrades that work best for each individual.
For information, call (310) 434-4743 or go to http://www.smc.edu/ceus
|Copyright 1999-2012 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.|